Monday, April 11, 2016

Sisters...


We had such a fun time I forgot to snap the selfie I intended.  I guess an oldie will have to do?
Written Mar 30, 2016
As we talked I kept asking myself, "Why haven't we done this sooner?"  Growing up my sister, Kendra, and I were always close.  She is only 20 months younger than me.  We stayed close until she moved to Utah around the same time we started our family, followed by her getting married and starting hers.  Sleepless nights and long days coupled with many miles between us created some distance for the first time.
It was her idea to meet up for dinner last night.  No kids allowed.  I didn't even realize until the invitation that I can only think of one time I have been with her without our kids in nearly 9 years.  Now with our move, this is the closest we have lived to each other in almost a decade.  As I listened to her talk I would laugh and cry.  I think the word I used the most was, "Yep." Although we have chatted on the phone, this was different.  It is the first time I can remember having a chance to get past the surface level of updating.  It's the first time I remember discussing normal Mommy things, like potty training challenges and Mom guilt and crazy little boy ideas.  No little hands tugging on me or following me from room to room this time.
I wish I had kept in better touch.  I wish I had supported her better as a new Mom.  I can't change that, but going forward can keep up with this rekindled friendship.
I am very lucky to have 3 other sisters plus 5 brothers.  Mark has 5 siblings.  We are so grateful for these special friendships.  Coming from big families can be tricky, but can also be a wonderful blessing like it is for us to have so many instant friends and a big support network.  We are happy that our kids can enjoy that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment