Monday, April 11, 2016

Birthday Bash...


Written Mar 22, 2016
I have been serving in the nursery in our church since we moved to Utah last year.  It is my dream calling in many ways...I get to be with toddlers and preschoolers (18months - 3years), to get down on the floor and play, to be silly and they always think whatever I do is so cool, to sing, and rock them and carry them, I love how big there little eyes get and their busy hands quieted for moments at a time as I bear my testimony and teach them...and of course snack time, right?  :)  This isn't the first time I have had this calling, but this is the first time I have realized the significance of what I am doing each week.
There has been a tiny part of me that has struggled to go every week.  The part of me that was called within a few weeks of moving.  The part of me that was starting over with building friendships and support networks. The part of me that was accustom to already knowing everyone in my ward family and being an important part of it.  It has meant that I must be proactive and purposeful in getting to know our new ward family outside of our church meetings.  
As I took these struggles to the Lord, He showed me that there is more to why I am serving here at this time than to "babysit" while the adults go to their meetings.  I am here with these children and their families for a reason.  He has already guided me to recognize details I had been unable to see previously.
Around that time we also were invited to a Stake Training and the focus was nursery.  The biggest thing I walked away was one sister quoting Sister Wixam (the General Primary President) something along the lines of "we must teach our children now what we need them to know in 5 years."  WOW!  So these little 18 month-olds are learning what they need to know when they are 6.  These little 3-year-olds are learning what they will need to know to prepare for baptism. 
My eyes have been opened to recognize these holy moments and that God has entrusted me to teach the youngest age possible at church (outside of my own home).  He just handed me 8 little pieces of malleable clay to shape and love.  
When I had the idea to invite these dear little friends and their families into my home, it felt so natural.  We planned an Easter egg hunt for them at our home.  Although they didn't all come, it was joyful to prepare for their arrival and to hear the pitter patter of so many excited little feet running around my home.  I wish I could include more than one picture, but I am unable to on this site.  It was a wonderful party and a privilege to have them in our home. I am grateful for them and all I am learning by being with them every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment