Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Being Replaced...



As soon as Shipton was coherent this morning, he tugged on Mark's hand saying, "Follow me, Daddy."  His little feet hurriedly pattered back into his bedroom followed closely behind by a happy Daddy.  Shipton knew it was morning, and therefore, time to get rolling on playing.

On Monday, Shipton suddenly asked me, "Where is Daddy?"  
"He went to work, remember?"  was my reply.
As the realization sunk in he bright eyes suddenly clouded over and quickly filled with tears.  His eager smile now changed to a grimace.  "That is so sad, Mommy."  It took a good 5 or so minutes to console him.  These days I am being ever more consistently "replaced."  This baby who nearly always in my arms or strapped to me in the wrap grew to a toddler who was nearly always with me or at least in the same room as me.  A huge part of me is relieved to have Shipton spreading his wings and having someone else he is eager to be with.  I am loving that his increased independence frees me for similar independence and additional flexibility.  I love that he adores somebody besides just me.  Just this morning Shipton discovered Daddy went to the shower and it was funny to watch his reaction of utter disgust from the sidelines.  Normally I am the one "in trouble" for having snuck off to do something without his permission.  When Daddy is home, Shipton keeps him on his radar. I have loved watching this gradually unfold.  In recent weeks it seems he has become confident with it because when Daddy is home, it doesn't matter what Mommy is doing any more.  Then there is that other part of me that is honestly a tiny bit jealous.  Jealous that he who was mine for so long is now seeking out somebody besides me. Sigh. So it is as a parent.
I am, once again, reminded of my gratitude for such a good spouse.  That we have grown together and are becoming ever increasingly like minded and united, especially when it comes to the ways we parent and raise our family.  I love that Shipton and my other children have a Daddy who adores each one of them.  He is involved in the details of their lives.  Just this morning he prayed for each child by name and their experiences today.  All four of the kids LOVE him and I think that is to his credit.  He is such a great Daddy (and husband too).

No comments:

Post a Comment