Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Meet Mom AKA Katy

Leland snapped this picture while watching me during my yoga practice one morning. When I got to my headstands, he commented: "Wow! That takes so much power!" We were able to talk anatomy for a moment, that yes, it takes a lot of power and strength from the core...but then I asked him if he knew why I think I can do headstands now. I explained that what powers our core is actually our ego. We can have too much ego and be full of ourselves. We can also have too little ego and constantly be beating ourselves up. I can do headstands now because I love myself. <3 It has taken a long time and lots of practice (both to learn how to do headstands and to love myself). I have fallen down. I can show you the knee print in my wall from a day last summer! :) It felt really unnatural at first. I had no idea how to do it or that I was even capable of it. It has been a beautiful journey to discover in recent years who I really am and just how strong I am both deep down inside and outside with my amazing physical body.

Hi!  I'm Katy.  I am passionate and vibrant person!  Jesus Christ is why I do what I do. One of the reasons I am on this planet is to help others to find Him personally. Two of my favorite things are spray paint and glitter.  I love to read and I'm always reading a good book...or two at once.  I am passionate about Hatha and Kundalini Yoga and other "new age hippie" awesomeness. :) 

I spend most of my time as a homeschooling mama, but also now run a small business extremely part-time. Right now that means I go into the office for a few hours to work with clients on most Saturdays as a QNRT practitioner, and starting this fall, I anticipate also returning to teach yoga again.  Most days I can see the importance of what I do as a mom and I love it! I will always have a sink full of dishes and a pile of laundry, but my presence as a Mom is urgent.  I seek to keep things as simple and meaningful as possible, so that I can be available and mindful to intentional parenting.

Learning a difficult pose at Hatha YTT (Yoga Teacher Training).
For me, yoga has been such a powerful experience to
discover things about myself that I never knew before. It has become a
way of life, and for me, is more than just moving my body on my mat.

I have learned that the greatest gift I can give to my kids is a happy mom, so I take careful care of myself every day. I have learned that as I have my own unresolved "junk," it deeply effects my ability to be present for my kids as they are facing the challenges of their daily lives... So I keep my relationship with Mark strong, I do yoga every day, I eat well, I get as much sleep as I can, I read my scriptures and pray every day, and I regularly attend the temple and church. 

I have come to recognize God's presence and His wonder in my personal life, and I seek to help others discover it for themselves.  I have a deep testimony of Jesus Christ and have literally watched miracles unfold before my very eyes because of His Atonement and grace. 


Mom with Gavin as he heads off to scouts. We feel like we have found the "sweet spot" when it comes to extra-curricular activities with the kids. We recognize how important it is for the kids to have opportunities to learn and grow outside of what we can offer in our home, but we are selective and intentional about what and how much we are committed to. Each of our kiddos is in a weekly activity (right now that means preschool, karate, gym, or tumbling) as well as our 3 oldest have a weekly church activity (right now that means scouts or YW). We also love to have play dates with friends in addition to our weekly playgroup we host for families in our stake and the weekly homeschool co op groups we host and participate in.

I truly have had a beautiful and miraculous life!  When it's the right time, I look forward to sharing details with you.  For now, here are a few Q&A's: 

One night a week, we tuck the other kids into bed and then
 Sennika stays up and we have what we call  G.T. (Girl Time)
together. One the other week nights each week Gavin, Leland, 
and Shipton also get 1:1 time with a parent, or, ideally, they 
get both parents all to themselves! Individual time
with our kids is important to us as parents. In this picture, 
Sennika and I are enjoying the spa night that she
prepared for us. Oh how I love this girl! <3

~What are some of your favorite things?

In addition to learning, reading, yoga, trauma healing, and brain wellness,

I love spending weekly and monthly 1:1 time with our kids!

I love to sing opera...but that usually get "booed off the stage" by my little ones! :)

I love people and I believe we can learn something from everyone...even if our paths only cross briefly!

We are die-hard date-nighters and I love that set-aside time every week to only be a wife and nobody else for a few hours!

I also love to go to the temple and attend most weeks (in this time and season of our lives).



~What's a fun fact about yourself?

A tender moment of me with Shipton. Although there are so many
challenges to parenting and especially parenting so many kids
(who are all very different from each other), I am completely in
love with what I do in nurturing and growing these amazing kids from day to day.
My nick-name from an early age was "Little Ray of Sunshine."

I truly have been blessed with a happy disposition and the gift of finding joy, optimism, and positivity in even the most dreary of circumstances.

That sunshine follows me wherever I go and gives me the ability to brighten the lives of others too. 


Shipton and I have been doing yoga together since I was pregnant with him. <3
~What motivates you and what are you passionate about?

I am passionate about teaching my children (and not just punishing/discipline), but helping them to develop skills that will serve them into adulthood.

I love learning truth in ALL its forms.

I LOVE sharing truth and uplifting those around me.

I am most passionate of all about helping others to discover Jesus Christ personally.



Leland reading to me during his school time. How many kids
get to have such a loving environment to learn?! We aren't
perfect every moment, but do our best to be purposeful in
what and how we offer daily living to our kids.
~What is a challenge you've faced in your life and how did you overcome it?

I am in the middle of a very challenging time and season of life right now. I accepted the call to help lead the women in our stake (an area) for our church as the Stake Relief Society President. One of my biggest concerns was feeling too young and too under-qualified only second to the impact it would have on our young family! It has required a whole new level of communication skills between Mark and I. He has been so very supportive of me! I have learned to toggle back and forth between wife, mom, leader, business owner, etc. and truly be present wherever I am rather than worrying about what is happening at home when I'm in a meeting, etc. If I am home, I am home. If I am working, I am working. It has meant that we have needed to let some things go (like our yard or laundry or hanging Christmas lights). I have also learned just how deeply I can rely on my Savior to sustain me and strengthen me...to work in His love and strength in everything that I do. On my own, I will never be enough to help support the women in this stake, but with my Savior at my side, we can accomplish anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment