Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Meet Dad AKA Mark

Handsome man!

I am Mark.  I believe that as a parent, I have a unique and sacred responsibility to provide, protect and preside over the needs of my children.   I was blessed to be raised in a home where my needs were taken care of any many of my wants were also met.  

I learned to value work and money as a paperboy before I was a teenager.   I enjoy observing the business world around me and observing the positioning and success of businesses and organizations both large and small.   As an employee, parent, spouse, and individual, I am interested in continual improvement. Likewise, I pay ongoing attention to the influence I have on raising happy, healthy, and secure children. 


Mark and the kids at the aquarium.

I consider myself an energetic father still feeling as if I’m in my mid-twenties.   I see joy in each day and treasure the moments that I can learn about my children’s daily adventures.   I enjoy sharing experiences from work, around town, current events or reflections from my childhood or youth. 

Mark being silly with Gavin and Leland. He comes home from work ready to engage with the family and hear from the kids about their day and share about his.


~What are some of your favorite things?

I love soccer, both indoor and outdoor.

I enjoy learning about the people from other countries, and cooking their cuisine.

I enjoy the changes in the season, and holiday celebrations, both for “big holidays," as well as the “smaller holidays."

If I were given the choice to quietly read a book by myself or play Legos with the kids, I would definitely play Legos!

Proud of his cooking skills.


~What's a fun fact about yourself?

I love camping year round! Some of my greatest memories have come from being outdoors with family as I’ve seen the world around me and treasured earth’s creations. I see camping as a gateway to seeking adventures, gaining education and self-sufficiency. I’ve made/slept in snow caves, enjoyed sleeping under the stars and hiking miles just to see what was on the other side of the ridge.


Flying Easter kites in the backyard with the kids.

~What motivates you and what are you passionate about?

I am motivated by progress and development. It’s inspiring to see my children grasp a new idea, begin noticing the sound of animals around our yard, or ask endless questions that usually start with the word “why.” I am passionate about sharing my love for life with my children---helping them grow up in an environment where they feel safe, treasured, and unique. 


After family prayer, the kids do "pig pile loves" with Dad.


~What are some challenges you've faced in your life and how did you overcome them?


As I faced unemployment, I have gained a better perspective of the real joy and meaning in my work. While a paycheck is crucial to provide for those I love, it’s not a single motivator for me. Leaving a legacy of integrity, process improvement, and synergy among co-workers has become more important than the resume-driven-attributes I once focused on for leading me to the top of an organization.

Hiking with Shipton on his shoulders.



Mark with Shipton. The kids love to go with Mark to the playground at the school and play soccer, throw frisbees, fly kites, and run through the sprinklers.

Working to remove a stump from the front yard.  Mark has worked hard in our overgrown yard (and although we still have years of work to get it how we eventually want it, he has done so much!) Counterclockwise beginning at the left to right: Senn,  Gavin, Mark, and Le.

Shipton walking on the ceiling with Dad.



The infamous "Taco game"

You might have noticed that in many of these pictures, Mark has a beard and long hair. Gavin and Mark were in the beautiful production on Temple Square called "Savior of the World" Christmas season 2017. In summer 2018, Mark was also privileged to be in the filming of The Book of Mormon as "an extra" (background actor).



Daddy cook on the weekends.  His favorites to make are crepes, German pancakes, and Hungarian food.


Mr. Incredible INDEED!


Mark at the top of Willard Peak. He loves the outdoors and hiking.

Mark giving our FHE lesson about Pioneer Day. Do you see his "handcart?" :)




No comments:

Post a Comment